Is a Geosynthetic material that consists of two parts, the first is the core and the filter (jacket). Which functions to accelerate the compaction or subsidence of the soil, usually called soil consolidation, by draining the pore water in the soil.
The PVD core is made of Polypropylene, with Fishbone and Corrugated shapes. For jacket or vertical drain, wrapper filters are made of Nonwoven Spunbond material, which can drain water and block soil grains or aggregates so that they do not get carried away with pore water.
The purpose of using PVD is to accelerate the process of dissipation of excess pore water pressure with the help of pre-loading loads so that the reduction process is shorter. The use of PVD effectively increases the shear strength of the soil rapidly and the primary settlement is almost completed during construction. See more articles here.
The working principle of PVD (vertical drain) is as follows:
- Shorten the water outlet, the path becomes horizontal to the vertical drain material
- Utilizing better clay soil permeability values in the horizontal direction
The advantages of using vertical drain in soft soil compaction:
- Easier than the Sand Drain method
- Fast and Effective
- The size of the material is relatively small, which minimizes the effect of disturbance on existing soil
- Uniform material properties due to factory-made materials which are of uniform quality and control
- Flexible, so water flow is not interrupted when bent due to consolidation
Application of Vertical Drain
Geoguard PVD application :
- Airport (Runway, Taxiway, Apron, etc)
- Preload Construction (Building, Warehouse, Real Estate, etc)
- Ground Improvement
#pvd #pvdsurabaya #prefabricatedverticaldrain #wickdrain #verticaldrain